Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Choosing between Australia and Canada

I am so utterly disappointed with and disheartened by our country right now. I won't even address issues concerning Bush, that would only make me madder right now. What I will address is that eleven, ELEVEN, states have passed gay marriage bans.

This is utterly ridiculous for so many reasons. I read in the paper yesterday that a man tormented his sickly daughter, starving her and taunting her by holding crackers in front of her, refusing to allow her to eat because sometimes, when she did eat, she vommitted due to a genetic condition that was surgically corrected at birth. The four year old child's body was found by the trash men who picked up her emaciated ELEVEN AND A HALF POUND BODY in a cooler the man threw out.

This man will be sentenced to prison and receive better health care than most Americans can afford (thanks, GW). But those evil, evil gay couples who are committed to monogomy can't qualify for health care or the benefits that come with a legal marriage. It's cruel and unusual to leave a prisoner without health benefits but it's not cruel and unusual to leave American law-abiding citizens without those benefits.

Now, here, pardon my language, who the F*** cares if gay people are allowed to have civil marriages?!?! It's called seperation of church state, you idiots. If you don't want your church to marry gay people, it doesn't have to! If you're so religious, then check into the Bible, fornication's a sin, and the government allows people to live in sin for seven years and reap the benefits. Our country is so behind the times, so ignorant, so STUPID, that it just makes me ill.

I'm also thinking about the fact that Scott Paterno, trust-fund-never-had-a-job-thinks-heroin-should-be-legalized-too-much-money-is-spent-on-education-baby, won the popular vote in Lebanon County. Because of this, I'm going to move. I'm thinking either Canada, Jamaica or Australia. I'm leaning towards Australia because I hate bartering for goods in Jamaica and Canada's too close to the US that it might accidentally get melted when the US is attacked.

All right, I'm off to transfer all my money into a Swiss bank account.

2 Comments:

At November 3, 2004 at 10:27 PM, Blogger Bricks and Porter said...

Preface: I agree with you 100% that gay marriage should not be banned. I think it works to further belittle and ostracize the gay community from society. However, with that in mind, I do have a few comments on your blog:

1. When the going gets tough - get the hell out of the country. No point in trying to change things, tried once and failed, better pack up the bags and go. Bad attitude. You're too smart to fall for that.

2. The democrats lost this election because of their lack of a set value system. Overly cautious - the D's didn't want to lose any of the liberal dem vote, so they didn't talk morals. While I may not agree with a lot of the far right winger's beliefs (see, e.g., gay marriage, abortion) I have to respect the fact that they have a defined value system, something Kerry lacked. Kerry's value system was defined by Gallup polls and Washington Post editorials - a lot of people saw that and it scared them. At least with Bush they knew what they were getting.

3. "It's cruel and unusual to leave a prisoner without health benefits but it's not cruel and unusual to leave American law-abiding citizens without those benefits."
a. It's cheap and easy to blame the rising cost of health care only on W, but that kind of slapped on blame without alternative solution is the reason a D didn't win the white house this year. (see also, aging population, rising insurance rates, the overall litigousness of this country)
b. There's a stark difference between health care and health benefits. Prisoners get health care and it is minimal at that. They do not get health "benefits", nor are the able to roll over their 401k when they transfer prisons.
c. Your separation of church and state argument lacks teeth. Marriage is not a religious topic per se. Aethiest get married too. This isn't about whether the catholic church is going to recognize a gay marriage. It's about the state recognizing it and the proscription of rights thereunder.
d. Your argument also suggests that society should not place moral restrictions on itself. That's society's job - to decide what behavior it believes is morally reprehensible and which is morally applaudable. We do it all the time, see, eg., murder. Over time this country's values and norms will change (see, e.g. civil rights). It's not going to happen overnight, and it's not going to happen all at once. Calling them bigots and idiots isn't going to help your case - it's just going to make them more devoted to having opposite beliefs.


And if you do decide to move, Australia probably wouldn't be your best bet, seeing that they are one of our strongest allies. Plus, with Canada, you could make bank bootlegging prescription drugs into the US.

 
At November 4, 2004 at 11:51 PM, Blogger Natalie Duvall said...

Okay, just a few comments, since I'm on my way to bed.

A. My health care comment (bout the prisoner vs. law abiding citizen) perhaps should have been worded better because I was referring to a gay marriage ban not allowing homosexuals to receive health care benefits that would be allowed through allowing gay unions. I also think children should also be able to put their parents on their health insurance. Don't worry, I'm well too aware of capitalism, I know there's no way our health care system could change any time soon.

B. It's a blog, I can say idiots and morons if I want, because I'm venting and when I want to vent, I can. I didn't call the people who said "only immoral innercity welfare-collecting black people voted for Kerry" idiots, instead, waited to vent here. Of course I don't think all Republicans are idiots, for I am technically one myself.

C. I'm really not planning on leaving the country. Too bad, probably, since we're in for more terroristic attacks, at least if you believe what the man who attacked us on 9/11, who's still on the lam, in a different country, says.

K, off to bed. And thanks for the comments, Vidas. Differing opinions are what makes this country great :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home